Oh boy. This will be fun. Life-changing, too!
This book club will be free, fun, and illuminating. It fills an immense need for individuals and couples worldwide.
(Note: I moderate two free, open-to-the-public discussion groups here in Silicon Valley. And I moderate a large online discussion Yahoo group for the partners of adults with ADHD. Click here to learn more about Finding Support.)
It’s never too late to join in the discussion. Everyone is welcome to comment.
The goal is simple: To provide an accessible, on-your-own-time forum for discussing book-inspired epiphanies and broadening everyone’s understanding of Adult ADHD. Particularly its impact on relationships.
Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.? covers a lot of ground, and it’s a very dense book. There’s no fluff!
One-Stop Resource for Individuals, Couples
Contrary to the common perception, my first book is not a book about ADHD and relationships. I designed it to be one-stop shopping for adults with ADHD and their loved ones for “stopping the roller coaster” of ADHD fallout in their lives. (See chapter list at the end of this post.)
Who will lead the book club discussion? Taylor J, a book fan-turned-friend. She’s a fantastic writer, and she knows this topic from many personal angles. She has ADHD, diagnosed just a few years ago. At least one of her parents has ADHD. Her husband was diagnosed shortly after she was. As for her four children and ADHD? Well, that’s an unfolding story. Stay tuned. (Read about what happened when her eldest, age 7, started stimulant medication: ADHD, Empathy & “Raising a Narcissist”)
Briefly, The Book Club Works This Way:
1. With each post, we will explore selected chapters of the book. (There are 23 chapters plus the intro and three appendices. They are listed below. The 16 book-club posts associated with a book chapter are highlighted as hyperlinked text.)
2. Taylor explains how reading that chapter affected her understanding of ADHD. She then offers examples from her life and that of her friends and family members who also face ADHD-related issues in their own lives and relationships.
3. For the book section on medication (three chapters), we asked Jaclyn at The ADHD Homestead to lead that discussion. Like Taylor J., she is in a dual-ADHD marriage and is a mother with late-diagnosis ADHD.
4. Now comes your part: Share your comments. You can comment on the post or the chapter itself. A big part of healing from ADHD-fueled relationship challenges is finding your voice, finding the words to describe your experience to yourself but also for others. Try it and see!
So, Get Ready to Participate!
If you’d like to more fully participate by reading or listening to the book first, here are links to sources for purchasing the paperback and audio version:
- On Amazon: paperback and Kindle, with audio available as Mp3 downloads or on CDs
- BN.com: paperback and Nook (also available at Barnes & Noble Stores)
- Audible.com: audio download
- Tantor.com: CDs, Mp3 on CDs, and downloadable Mp3
Thank you, Taylor and Jaclyn, for helping to make my long-held wish come true! I couldn’t have asked for better narrators!
Hyperlinks to Each Essay in The Book Club Seeries
And now for the preview of the chapter-by-chapter lineup: the book’s table of contents. Chapter titles appearing as hyperlinks correspond to an essay in the Book Club. Click to read.
From the Tunnel of Love to the Roller Coaster:
Could Your Partner Have ADHD?
Roller Coaster Whiplash and G-Force Confusion:
How Many Plunges Before You Say, “Whoa!”
Your Relationship and the Art of Roller Coaster Maintenance:
Four Success Strategies
Success Strategy #1: Taking Care of Yourself
Introduction: The Amusement Park’s Emergency Room
Success Strategy #2: Dealing With Denial
Introduction: Roller Coaster? What Roller Coaster?
13 Psychological Denial: The FEAR Factor
16 More Solutions and Strategies
Success Strategy #3: Finding Effective Therapy
Introduction: Calling in a Consultant to Help Retrofit Your Ride
17 Why the Wrong Therapy Is Worse Than No Therapy
18 Therapy That Works for ADHD
19 More Solutions and Strategies
Success Strategy #4: Understanding Medication’s Role
Introduction: Tightening the Brakes on the Roller Coaster
This post from Jaclyn at The ADHD Homestead touches on a range of issues within this section on medication
21 Rx: Treatment Results That Last
22 Maximizing Lifestyle Choices, Minimizing Rx Side Effects
23 Catch Your Breath and Take Five
Adult ADHD Evaluation and Diagnosis
“But I Heard That…”: More Background for the Unconvinced
Three Views from Decades on the ADHD Roller Coaster