Looking for solid, respected, and timeless guidance on Adult ADHD, including in relationships? Here’s a quick over of my work in paperback, ebook, or audio formats?
Over 22 years of ceaseless researching and innovating, I humbly point out that my four major print works include four important “Firsts”:
- The first comprehensive layperson’s guide to Adult ADHD, including the potential effects of poorly managed ADHD on loved ones and the adults themselves—along with a consumer’s guide to treatment strategies.
- A groundbreaking professional guide on ADHD couple therapy for clinicians and consumers—the first based on the evidence of what works for couple therapy and what works for Adult ADHD
- Kindle-only book about ADHD’s potential effect on sexual intimacy and how to address challenges
- The first-ever chapter on ADHD couple therapy in psychologist Dr. Russell Barkley’s gold-standard clinical guide. Written at Dr. Barkley’s invitation.
For an overview of my published work on Amazon —and Amazon reader reviews—please visit Gina Pera Amazon Author page.
1. Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.?
Winner of four national book awards! Praised by a “Who’s Who” of preeminent experts!
This bestselling guide put Adult ADHD and Relationships on the map — and remains a must-read today.
Adults with ADHD, their partners and other loved ones, and professionals will find comprehensive understanding of symptoms, emotional impact, and evidence-based treatment strategies. This guide also broke new ground by detailing the potential effects of poorly managed ADHD on the partners and other loved ones.
“I recommend it highly to all couples whose troubles seem incomprehensible, and for all couples therapists it should be required reading to help them distinguish between ordinary conflict and the roller coaster effect of this syndrome.”
—Harville Hendrix, Ph.D.
“Insightful, helpful, witty, and very practical. This book can change your life.”
—Daniel Amen, MD
“There is no better book that addresses such relationship difficulties and with such sensitivity to the complex issues inherent in them. Thank you, Gina, for writing such a useful book.”
—Russell A. Barkley, PhD
“Gina Pera has written a stunning book that should be a must-read for all couples where one or both partners have
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.”
—Anthony Rostain, MD
Read more endorsements on the book’s detail page, through the links below.
Available in Three Formats (as well as in Spanish and Turkish):
- Paperback on Amazon: Is It Me, You, or Adult A.D.D.?
- Paperback internationally: Check wherever you buy books
- Kindle e-book: Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.?
- Apple iBook: Is It You, Me, or. Adult A.D.D.?
- Check other ebook sellers: Google Play, Kobo, Barnes & Noble, Scribd, and 50 more internationally!
- Audio: 12 audio CDs, 2Mp3 CDs, or audio download, available from Amazon and Tantor Media
Please note: The ebook versions have been updated to 2022.
Read along with the You Me ADHD book club. This is a series of first-person essays written by my friends who happen to be in dual-ADHD marriages (with children diagnosed with ADHD as well!).
2. Adult ADHD-Focused Couple Therapy: Clinical Interventions
Co-authored with veteran ADHD expert and psychologist Arthur L. Robin. Published in 2016 by Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
Thanks to burgeoning ADHD awareness, individuals and couples worldwide are seeking ADHD Couple Therapy. Until now, however, we’ve had no solid guide — a guide based on the evidence of what works for Adult ADHD and for couple therapy. Now there is: Adult ADHD-Focused Couple Therapy: Clinical Interventions (Routledge, 2016).
The co-authors are recognized internationally as leaders in the field: Gina Pera and Arthur L. Robin, PhD.
ADHD-related challenges underlie many of the issues that bring couples to therapy—money, sex, chore-sharing, co-parenting. Yet, they are too often misperceived as typical “couples troubles” —nothing to do with this neurogenetic brain condition.Instead, these desperate couples largely find:
- Couple therapists who lack the ability to recognize or factor in ADHD contributors to relationship distress.
- Individual therapists who might understand Adult ADHD but lack the ability to provide couple therapy in an equitable fashion. That is, one that does not simply recruit the partner as a “helper” to the ADHD partner.
- Therapists of any type who underestimate the role of neurobiology in dysfunctional behaviors and couple dynamics.
The results? Clients might seem to improve functioning for a while. The minute therapy stops, however, all progress stops, too.
Available at many outlets, including Amazon: Adult ADHD-Focused Couple Therapy: Clinical Interventions
3. Adult ADHD and Sex
Yes, sexual expression is yet another one of those areas—like sleep—where the public and professionals alike often fail to connect the dots to ADHD symptoms.
As I write in Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.?:
When ADHD does create significant sexual problems, it usually falls into two categories: The ADHD partner initiates sex all the time or almost never. In the sexual relationship as in elsewhere with ADHD, we encounter variable challenges in self-regulation and summoning motivation.”
Between these extremes (always and never) lies a range of issues that can drive apart couples—if they don’t know what they’re dealing with or what strategies to implement. Ignorance about this critically important connection between ADHD and sexual intimacy creates so much unnecessary hurt.
This is a 2.99 (affordable for everyone!) Kindle-only book. If you don’t have Kindle, you can read on your computer, iPad, or phone by downloading Amazon’s free Kindle app.
Adult ADHD & Sex: What You Need to Know (That Sex Therapists Cannot Tell You)
4. ADHD Couple Therapy Chapter in Russell Barkley’s Clinical Guide
Dr. Russell Barkley invited me to contribute the first-ever chapter on couple therapy to his revised clinical guide: Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: A Handbook for Diagnosis and Treatment, Fourth Edition (2014).
It expands upon our couple therapy clinical guide and orients ADHD specialists to the importance of keeping in mind needs of the Adult with ADHD, the partner, and the relationship.
Thank you for your interest in my books and chapter about Adult ADHD. I look forward to meeting you at my new training site, with engaging and highly educational courses for adults with ADHD, couples, and professional Solving Your Adult ADHD Puzzle